Today I am sharing the recipe to the most delicious cake I have ever had. I love the taste of dates, Cardamom and cinnamon together in this cake. I first tried it at a charity cake sale when my brilliant friend Tom made it. Since then, I have made it many times, and friends and colleagues seem to really enjoy it. The original recipe was taken from a cook book but Tom could not remember its name.
175g pitted dates
1 freshly squeezed lemon juice
200g unsalted butter
225g light muscovado sugar ( I sometimes use just normal powder sugar)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons of crushed cardamom seeds (use pestle and mortar)
200g whole meal rye flour (can buy in Holland and Barretts) ( I also sometimes use normal ordinary flour)
- Put the dates in 200ml of water on low heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in lemon juice and mix well until like a paste and then leave to cool.
- Set oven to 175C (325f/gas mark 3)
- Put the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream together (best with electric whisk) until fluffy and toffee like. Stir in the vanilla extract. Then add the eggs one at a time, whisking well.
- In separate bowl sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda and add the spices, then fold into the egg mixture. Then fold in the date paste until all is well combined
- Spoon the mixture into a prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in oven for around fifty minutes, then Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before taking it out of the tin.
I sometimes sprinkle icing sugar on the top for a better presentation. Given that the cake has dates in it, it wont rise very high. So do not be surprised. And enjoy the heavenly taste!!!